On our laser therapy service page, we describe High Intensity Laser Therapy by comparing it to photosynthesis. But that might not be a metaphor that connects to all of our patients. So, we’ve written this blog to explain it in another way.
In its most basic form, High Intensity Laser Therapy uses light energy from a therapeutic laser to stimulate a series of biological changes in your cells, in turn, producing positive healing properties for damaged cell tissues and bodies. But, let’s face it, that doesn’t sound so basic.
Let’s break it down a little further:
- First and foremost, the High Intensity Laser releases light energy in tiny microbursts (think: flipping a light switch on and off rapidly).
- This light energy then penetrates the cellular level of your body, meaning it goes through the skin and deep into the tissues of your muscles, nerves, ligaments, joints, and bones.
- The light then stimulates or “gets the cells excited” and causes them to reproduce and grow. It also increases blood flow, decreases swelling, and softens scar tissue.
- This reproduction and growth of healthy cells allows your body to better combat pain and heal.
- The light energy also erases the pain memory that lives deep in your interneurons.
The effects of High Intensity Laser Therapy are cumulative, meaning that the healing occurs gradually, building over time, after each session. But the results are impressive. In our clinic we have seen up to 80% of our patients feel an improvement in function and relief from pain.
Sounds a little less intimidating right? Well, we certainly hope so. If you have questions about how our High Intensity Laser Therapy works, or how it will might help you, we encourage you to give us a call to schedule a no-cost, no-obligation initial consultation with Dr. Curt Draeger to discuss your individual case.
Call us at 800-244-PAIN (7246) today.